Oscar Arias Sanchez Hispanic Honor Society
The O.A.S.H.H.S. is a scholastic and leadership society that promotes and enables the academic, professional, community oriented, and social success of its members. Through strengthening relationships and the cultural development of students on campus we are able to expand our influence and ensure our growth.
If you would like to become a member of our organization, or would like additional information, please contact the following offices:
Dean of Undergraduate Studies Office: (850) 644-2740 OR OASHHS President, Maria Puente: firstname.lastname@example.org
Membership to the Society will be by invitation only to those students who are sophomores, juniors, or seniors with a FSU cumulative grade point average of 3.3 or higher.
Letters of invitation will be sent out to eligible students during the fall semester of each academic year. Students who do not receive a letter of invitation and have all the requirements can be invited to gain membership to the Society. Transfer students will be considered for eligibility according to the above requirements and submission of their previous school transcript.
At the time of induction the eligible members shall have:
- A minimum grade point average of 3.3.
- Paid in full the annual fee. No university student may be denied membership due to inability to pay dues. If a member is not able to pay dues, other arrangements will be made.
- Completed the membership application.
- Demonstrated commitment to the organization by actively participating in events throughout consecutive fall and spring semesters, which include, but not limited to: three general body meetings per semester, two volunteer service events per semester, two cultural events per semester, two socials events per semester, and two fundraising events per semester for a minimum total of 11 points per semester.
- Returning members must have a minimum total of 5 points per semester in order to remain active in the Society. They will do so by attending one event in each of the categories mentioned above each semester.
The executive board may assign points for any event that fulfills the Society’s purpose.
This organization agrees to adhere to the University's Equal Opportunity and Non-Discrimination Statement.
Induction and Point System
A formal induction ceremony is conducted every year during the spring semester. Members will be inducted to membership by invitation only. No eligible university student may be denied membership on the basis of race, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, parental status, disability or the inability to pay dues.
Every inducted member is required to attain at least 5 points per semester in order to remain an active member of the organization. Points are attained by participating in a variety of events that are specified at the beginning of each year.
The Oscar Arias Sanchez Hispanic Honor Society sponsors many activities each semester, including:
- Induction ceremonies
- Dean's list reception
- Cultural events
- Community outreach service projects "leading through service"
- Social activities for members
- Fundraising events
- Academic events
O.A.S.H.H.S. members who have attained membership through induction by meeting the required points per semester and have remained active thereafter have the privilege of receiving a graduation cord. These deserving individuals will be eligible to wear the colors (forest green and gold) of the Oscar Arias Sanchez Hispanic Honor Society.